Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Birth and Life of Opera

My first thought when someone says the word opera is about people in antique costumes and big dress singing for 3 hours, but this documental changed that and showed me the importance of opera.

 Most of all I liked two phrases that were mentioned in the video to describe opera. One was when he said that opera was the music form that expressed excitement and passion the most, and the second was when he said that opera was a way of living. I honestly haven't though about it that way but as you think of it opera is actually the most exciting and passionate because everything is happening live, the music, the acting, the singing, etc. This is an experience that not even movies can give and that's what makes it so amazing. The second phrase was that opera was a way of living and I truly believe in that because  I used to be a dancer. As I dancer I felt like dancing was a way of living because every time I dance I felt happy and distressed and maybe an opera actress or actor feels that same way when they are playing their part on stage. It is also discussed as a way of living because it portrays real life scenarios that include politics, ideas, love, death etc.

Opera was extremely important and became controversial to the point that some operas where even banned. It is fun to see how The Mariage of Figaro was banned because they were treating their employees as slaves but now sex scenes in movies seem normal. This makes me think how things have evolved and how it all really began with opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment